Sunday 19 May 2013

Hive inspection


I opened up the hive today as the weather was at last dry and warm!
I am a bit puzzled as to what I found! Any bee expects out there? We need your advice...

It is a strong colony but there are 2 to 3 eggs  in many of the cells! There are no drones so it must be the queen, although I failed to find her today as I wanted to clip and mark her.
There were modest amounts of larvae and capped worker brood, mostly eggs. All laid in a good pattern on the frame.

Maybe it is down to the bad spring/summer?

I put some apiguard on and closed up the hive again.



2 comments:

  1. Sorry to say, but if there are multiple eggs in cells, your queen is gone and you have laying workers. What appears to be worker brood will probably turn out to be drone brood in worker cells.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dan.
    That was what we were afraid of :-(

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and feedback...